Referral programs can be an excellent method for businesses to attract new customers and retain existing ones. Just like a positive word-of-mouth can do wonders for a business, a well-structured referral program can exponentially increase a company's growth and profitability. In this article, we'll define this concept and explore the best types of referral programs.
Referral programs are strategies implemented by businesses to incentivize and encourage existing customers to introduce their product or service to new potential customers. The existing customer usually gets some kind of reward, like discounted products or bonuses. For this strategy to be successful, the formula employed is fairly simple and yet effective: the more a customer refers and the more the referred individual engages with the business, the more rewards the referrer gets.
Now, let's delve into the best types of referral programs:
1. Discount Programs: In this type of referral program, existing customers get a certain percentage of discount on their next purchase once their referral makes a purchase. Businesses can also give the referral a discount as a way to welcome them onboard.
2. Bonus Programs: Here, both the referrer and referral earn a form of bonus once certain conditions are met. The bonus could either be monetary or come in the form of additional benefits that can be used within their service.
3. Credit Programs: Credit programs offer existing customers credits for every successful referral. These credits can then be used for transactions within the same platform.
4. Product or Service-based Programs: In this type of program, for every successful referral, the referrer gets free products or services. For instance, a business can reward a referrer with a free month of service.
5. Tiered Programs: These are more complex but potentially more rewarding. They use a tier system where the more a customer refers, the more and better rewards they get. It encourages continued engagement with the referral program.
These programs are not mutually exclusive, and businesses can use a combination of these strategies to maximize their referral benefits.
More recently, "Trailing" referral programs have been getting attention, and proving effective for longer-term engagement and growth. These are referral programs where the referrer continues to earn benefits as long as the referred customer continues to engage with the business. The reward increases with the level of the referrals' engagement. Here's how that works: Suppose Company A introduced a trailing referral program where a customer gets $50 for a referred customer that makes a purchase of $100 or more. If the referred customer continues to make purchases, the referring customer gets an additional $10 for every $100 spent by the referral. So, the more active the referrals are, the more the referring customer earns.
The right referral program can not only bring in new customers but also incentivize existing customers to stay engaged with your business. A company like Village understands this need. We automate segmentation, incentives, and communication, enabling marketplaces big and small to devise effective referral programs. Village offers automated referral programs of all types, and stands out in delivering powerful trailing referral programs. By understanding and implementing an effective referral program, businesses can foster loyalty, attract a new audience, and ultimately drive growth and profitability.
Marketplaces big and small use Village to create and automate segmentation, incentives, and comms. Fuel viral growth, increase LTV, and create stronger, stickier relationships on both sides of the market.Learn more